What am I doing?
Today I realized that I AM a teacher. I am capable of shaping futures/outlooks/knowldege/interest. When I look back on school, there are many teachers that stand out in my mind, and I still remember today! Even some of their lessons are coming back to me now. The fact that I might be one of those teachers for one of these kids in the future is mind boggling! I could teach them: America is full of murderers and drug addicts, and as far as they're concerned this would be 100% fact. It's amazing the amount of trust that is surrendered to me with virtually no qualifications on my part just because I have the title --Sensei! Kinda scary!
“The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.”
~Mark Van Doren
Things I discovered today:
1. Instead of a coin toss at the beginning of soccer games. Both team captains do rock, paper, scissor! or as they call it Janken.
2. Dolphins are the only other species besides humans to find pleasure in sex, and on that note, are the only other species that rape. 2 male dolphins will actually be in cahoots to corner a female and keep her as their sex slave-Natasha (and supposedly National Geographic)
3. Soccer games in Japan are quieter than golf matches. So quiet that I fell asleep during one today for a good 20 minutes.
4.Its okay to sleep at work, at your desk or even in the locker room. Japanese people dont really care, as long as you are there.
5. Birds and rats are physically more advanced than humans. Rats dont get cancer, can eat anything, fight off diseases like crazy and can survive ridiculous amounts of radiation. Birds have a digestive system that retains 80% of their water and therefore never pee. -Phil
6. If you have pcitures of your students on your blog, you can be fired. Just letting you know that I deleted a few of my posts because students were in the pictures...what a bummer! They are MY posts and MY blog! dumb rule!
7. If you give someone enough rope, they will hang themselves, with little or no effort on your own part.
8. Its funny the people you miss when you move to a foreign country. Person A: I saw everyday and thought that I would miss them: but dont. Person B: I havent spoken to since high school but miss them a lot. Interesting thing: perspective.
9. Japanese people brush their teeth after every meal and still have the worst teeth I have ever seen. Oh yeah and funny story...I asked why this was and a teacher replied: It's because Japanese people have different teeth than every one else...and my reply was: So what about me? GOT 'EM!
10. Dont name your fish after your friends because when/if they die, you will be very sad. Then you will have to call your friend and tell them that they died today. It's a very wierd feeling, Im sure, to flush Willimena down the toilet. Also, I dont think its very good Karma.
2. Dolphins are the only other species besides humans to find pleasure in sex, and on that note, are the only other species that rape. 2 male dolphins will actually be in cahoots to corner a female and keep her as their sex slave-Natasha (and supposedly National Geographic)
3. Soccer games in Japan are quieter than golf matches. So quiet that I fell asleep during one today for a good 20 minutes.
4.Its okay to sleep at work, at your desk or even in the locker room. Japanese people dont really care, as long as you are there.
5. Birds and rats are physically more advanced than humans. Rats dont get cancer, can eat anything, fight off diseases like crazy and can survive ridiculous amounts of radiation. Birds have a digestive system that retains 80% of their water and therefore never pee. -Phil
6. If you have pcitures of your students on your blog, you can be fired. Just letting you know that I deleted a few of my posts because students were in the pictures...what a bummer! They are MY posts and MY blog! dumb rule!
7. If you give someone enough rope, they will hang themselves, with little or no effort on your own part.
8. Its funny the people you miss when you move to a foreign country. Person A: I saw everyday and thought that I would miss them: but dont. Person B: I havent spoken to since high school but miss them a lot. Interesting thing: perspective.
9. Japanese people brush their teeth after every meal and still have the worst teeth I have ever seen. Oh yeah and funny story...I asked why this was and a teacher replied: It's because Japanese people have different teeth than every one else...and my reply was: So what about me? GOT 'EM!
10. Dont name your fish after your friends because when/if they die, you will be very sad. Then you will have to call your friend and tell them that they died today. It's a very wierd feeling, Im sure, to flush Willimena down the toilet. Also, I dont think its very good Karma.
Lastly: Time goes by too fast! (Phil's story reminded me of that tonight at dinner).
-disclaimer: if any of these facts are wrong
it is because I hang out with Natasha and Phil
who are full of random facts/sort-of-facts that
I think are hilarious and makes me wonder
why on Earth they would ever know this!
it is because I hang out with Natasha and Phil
who are full of random facts/sort-of-facts that
I think are hilarious and makes me wonder
why on Earth they would ever know this!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home