...because I can.

Sunday, August 27, 2006


Shitada Big Snake Festival August 26th 2006: (8/26/06)









This is the last summer festival of the year that I get to go to. Shitada is a village about 20 minutes from Sanjo. It's tiny! Their festival is the Big Snake festival. They start a big fire in the middle of the festival and men carry in a big snake (represented by bails of hay) and throw it in the fire. It is to ask the Gods for rain in the coming season. I have no clue why they do this festival AFTER rainy season and not before. I asked some locals and they didnt seem to have a clue either: Just another tradition.


The snake has just gone into the fire....
The best part of festivals is the food! Even though I wasnt hungry I had tacoyaki (fried octopus in balls --really good, dont know it til you try it -- yakisoba, shaved ice, edamame, japanese crepes --below -- and cotton candy of course! No festival would be complete if I didnt leave w/ a HUGE stomach ache!
This is Naomi's son... Ryu-sei. He is really cool and likes anime. He is also the only person that will hang out with me in public! Even though in the pic above, he doesnt really look like he is happy! He really loves me! LOL...anyways this is a pic of him..We fought w/ those swords all night and then I pushed him down the hill! But I WON..all that counts! :)
This is Saya (Naomi's other daughter) She is sooo cute that I had to put this picture up! She likes me too..but I think its only because she doesnt know any better!
Of course no festival would be complete w/o HUGE FIREWORKS! (hannabe) Im so proud of myself for this picture! Its called Niagara Falls and it is set off the bridge over the Shinano River! Please take a moment to admire my AWESOME photography skills!! LOL
This is Jenny. Im sure you will hear lots about her. She is another ALT from North Carolina. She is REALLY excited about being in Japan as you will see! She bought this yukatta and wore it to the festival..she also bought this stuffed animal for 15$ and goes everywhere with it. Dont ask....because I DONT know.

Only in Japan

Random Picture:








-A grown man wearing light-up Mickey Mouse ears..AND allowing me to take his picture all while giving the THUMBS UP!!!! classic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home